Thursday, July 16, 2009

T minus 15 days

We have camped and made lists and planned and packed and procured...it all is starting to feel like the beginning of the Lewis-Clark expedition or Laura Ingalls move. Our trip will be somewhat more comfortable. I am reading the Little House books to Naomi and I am sure that we will rely on thoughts of a family bumping along in a wagon or of Sacajawea waiting patiently, baby strapped to her back, while the Corps of Discovery caught up with her. These thoughts will remind us to be thankful for the many things that give us comfort and rapid travel over nearly the same route. Life is good. Travel in this century is amazing. Our biggest worries are breakdown and boredom. Better than mountain lions and bears and icy, rocky, dangerous places. As I read over that last sentence it occurs to me that some of my kids would prefer the 1804 version but they don't get to choose, thank goodness.

1 comment: